every word is a poem. speak carefully.
spearmint
    every word is a poem. speak carefully.
Monday, May 21, 2007
1000 lines of blank verse! Lines 189 - 214

Imagine, I Thought I'd Have Nothing to Write about Today (a true story)
(actually written the other day for PDFP, but I never posted it)


At home alone with husband working late,
and I, a city girl, scared of the dark
(out here where there is little else but it).
I'm talking on the phone and look outside
to see a cow face calmly looking in.

She's not ten feet away from my back door
and glows in the fluorescent motion light.
She hovers in the darkness like a cow
(not like a ghost; I don't believe in ghosts).

I guess it's just the shock of seeing her
that makes me gather dogs, and lock the doors
as though she'd ram her big cow body in
(perhaps in search of carrots--we have lots).
Or maybe my small dogs have pissed her off
by barking at her tonnage from a safe
distance, while she's behind a barbed-wire fence.

At any rate, I know that cows are nice
but quite surreal when standing in your yard.
I wonder just what made her come to me,
perhaps she knows she's safe from eating here,
but it feels like that episode of 'Lost"
when one day without warning: polar bear!

Good thing the neighbors gave us our first year
a list of who to call about lost cows.
Seemed freaky then; seems kinda normal now.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

poems of mine, online



my other blogs



poetry blogs i like

poetry sites i like

other things i like

archives
March 2007 / May 2007 /


Powered by Blogger