every word is a poem. speak carefully.
spearmint
    every word is a poem. speak carefully.
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
1000 lines of blank verse! Lines 215 - 247

Slept in again and missed the sun, I hate
when it gets up before I do. I miss
the haze that rises off the pond. I know
it won’t be back again today. I hope
tomorrow I’ll get my butt up. I will
not hit the snooze a billion times. I swear.


Hummingbird


Small bug of whir and bird beak buzzing by
the buckeye tree outside my window here,
the tree that’s not in bloom, but trying hard,
as hard as those I saw an hour south
with handfuls on each branch, a cone of bloom
just there to make a nut. But bird, you look
so hard for nectar still. Here by the lake
it’s cold, we wish for spring. We all do, but
I wish it most for you. So tiny, you
don’t make sense, shouldn’t live. You’re just a snack.
(‘Small popcorn birds….five dollars for a batch!”)

I want to feed you nectar from a syringe
to keep your tiny strength up, you will need
first to outsmart that cat, you know the one
that has no tail? He has his eye on you.
(I heard he lost his tail fighting an owl
and birds are on his shit list ever since)

So hummingbird, come here into my dream
where trees are always blooming and the flowers
are up high out of cat-reach. I will keep
the bunnies from you with their harsh hind legs
(the dogs would be scared of you anyway).
I’ve built a garden for you in my mind
and you can buzz you bug buzz while you sip
the nectar that my heart has brewed for you.
But it spoils quickly…hurry while it’s fresh.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

poems of mine, online



my other blogs



poetry blogs i like

poetry sites i like

other things i like

archives
March 2007 / May 2007 /


Powered by Blogger