every word is a poem. speak carefully.
spearmint
    every word is a poem. speak carefully.
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
1000 lines of blank verse! Lines 1 - 44

I’ve stolen an idea from some people
(much cooler than me, but I doubt they’ll mind)
to write in blank verse for 1000 lines
Why do I find it makes me want to rhyme?

Abandon rhyme and crude inversions, go!
I heard a teacher (Maggie Anderson)
Once say she likes to think all in IP
It seems a practice that could help a lot
if metre is a thing you need to learn

I can not stop it, now I talk this way
I hope to do it now for all the day
But this is cheesy, really,
anyway…

**********************************************

Goose Babies

Last year she laid her eggs right by the edge
of the pond water, sadly when it rose
her nest went out to sea, we tried to see
if we could save it but those fragile eggs
would have been crushed by any tool we’d used
we took our chances (but the chance was theirs)
that nest and all would float back to the shore
it never happened, no geese our first year.
But this spring we have families one and two
The first group popped up…yellow heads one day!
A great surprise, we hadn’t seen a nest.

We wondered how soon goose babies could swim.
Turned out they swim as soon as humans come
with cameras and true non-gooselike love
This family stayed together all the time,
Big goose in front, then babies in a line
Big goose in back.
But also on the pond,
a lonely goose just hanging by the side
I should have known, they always have a mate
one day my phone rang, though my hub was late
he’d called to say, on his way out the drive
that there were gooses, baby ones again
another family, tiny heads more green
but soft and fuzzy, marching near the pond.
The babies were so small I lost their heads
as they bobbed pertly in our too-long grass
but soon they were in water, swimming small
while mom and dad chased muskrats from their pride.

****************************************************


Wow, that was easy, not that it is good
but good is not the point, it’s just to try
to learn to think in meter all the time
perhaps one day I’ll even think in rhyme!


(44 lines)
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

poems of mine, online



my other blogs



poetry blogs i like

poetry sites i like

other things i like

archives
March 2007 / May 2007 /


Powered by Blogger